Wednesday, August 24, 2011

12 Things

I have been here 12 months......soooooooo....here are 12 things I've learned since I have been here:
1. God is faithful!  (I knew that before.....but I know it now at a whole new level!!!)

2.  If you ever get caught by a rip tide.....swim parallel to the shore, not toward the shore!

3. My puerto rican spanish words, don't always mean the same thing in Guatemalan spanish.

4. It doesn't matter how many good works you do, if you're not spending time with God, it means nothing.

5. Guatemalans clap on the off beat.  It drives me a little insane.  I'm still not used to it!

6. When you ask for directions from Guatemalans....a common answer "la carretera te lleva"....that means "the road will take you there"  Often times, it doesn't!

7.  On any given day, it could take you 2 hours to get somewhere that is 15 minutes away, because of mudslides, protests, or just crazy traffic!!  Chicago traffic has NOTHING on Guatemala traffic!

8. Guatemala has many beautiful places that no one knows about.

9. I have learned how to bargain like it's nobody's business.

10. Missionaries are super normal (at least most of them...and maybe not super normal...but pretty normal!)

11. My cute Honda CRV is NOT a 4 wheel drive vehicle

12.  Many are the plans in a mans heart, but it is the Lords purpose that prevails.  That truth has been such a reality in my life this past year......and I am so grateful for that His plans are better than mine!

Truthfully,  God has taught me so many beautiful things.  I have learned so much about ministry, missions, myself, and Him! This has been an incredible year!  Perhaps some day we can sit and have a cup of coffee and I can tell you all the wonderful things God has shown me!

Love you all!!!
Cece

No comments: