Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sweet Starbucks.......and other reminders of home.....

Earlier this summer, Starbucks opened its first store in Guatemala. I wasn't super excited and I'll tell you why.....Guatemala has some of the best coffee EVER! There are several coffee shops that have excellent coffee and they are Guatemalan owned companies. Also the Starbucks was in a part of the City that I was not familiar with. Lately, however, I have been missing home ALOT (I think it has something to do with the seasons changing...In the US of course, not here.....we only have 2 seasons.....wet and dry!). And since I can't just hop on a plane and go home for the weekend, I like to do something that reminds me of home. Sometimes it's eating something that reminds me of home (not the US but my actual family's home), sometimes it's browsing through Amazon for hours (I don't have a Borders here, and I have heard that neither do my friends in the States anymore, but when I had a lazy Saturday afternoon, I spent hours browsing books at Borders), and sometimes, it's just looking through pictures.

Since my latest bout of homesickness (not sure that's a word...but it is on my blog!), I have had the urge to go to Starbucks since SB's was part of my routine at home. The problem was, I didn't know how to get there! Well, this week I found out that another one opened in a mall that I actually know how to get to!!! I was so excited! Again, not so much because of the coffee, but because it was like a part of my "world" coming here to me!!

So, today, my roommate Amy and I ventured out to Oakland Mall. I parked in the underground parking and when we came up the escalators that took you into the mall, there at the top of the escalators, I saw this:




I cannot tell you how giddy I was (just ask my roommate Amy...I'm pretty sure I embarassed her). I heard the "halleluya chorus" in my head! I know it's silly (and perhaps even a little pathetic), but it just made me happy.  

My life is very different than it was a year and a half ago. I am thankful that God has been gracious to me and I have adapted rather well here.  He has giving me and continues to give me amazing oppurtunities. I am sincerly happy here and I really enjoy living and working here. However, every now and then, you can't help but miss home. And when "home" comes to you......well, it's a real delight!!!!!  I won't be frequenting Starbucks often, but it's nice to know where to find one when I find myself longing for something that reminds me of life back home!


My roommate Amy and I...She was super great about indulging my craving!




Special Treat...Starbucks AND Cinnabon


Cooking with my Goya products (the sazon and empanada disks were brought from the States), and drinking my Malta's always make me think of my moms kitchen!!!


Well friends, until next time,
Pa' Lante y Pal' Cielo!
Cece


1 comment:

Chaplain Ernie Ramsey said...

You're in our prayers and we all love you! Thanks for sharing your heart. Helps us to pray more effectively for you!