Wednesday, September 21, 2011

'Enter that Rest"

Yesterday, during my time of prayer, I spent alot of time praying for myself.  Not for my needs and wants neccesarily, but for my spiritual life.  Asking God to fill me, to use me, to do with me as He would see fit.  I just wanted more of God.  The thing is, as I was praying for God to have His way with me, I started to get a little anxious...my mind wandered. Has that ever happened, you are praying and you are in "the zone" and then one little thing leads your mind to something else?  Sadly it happens to me more often than I'd like to admit! Well, as I was asking God to "have His way with me", I started to wonder....."God what is your will for my life?"  You see, I have some decisions I need to make in the next few months and I really want to hear from God about those decisions.  So I started to get anxious and ask God about it (yet again!).  It's good to bring all your anxieties to God because He cares about us...that's what the Bible says right?  Well yes, that is what the Bible says.  The problem is that I really wanted to spend time with God without the worries of tomorrow that always seem to creep into my quiet time.  I was trying to be very intentional and it was not working!

So, I decided I was going to silence my heart and my mind and just let God speak.  I sat in silence for a while and just waited for God to speak to me.  After a while, I sensed the Lord dropping Hebrews 4:11 in my mind.  I didn't know what that text consisted of but that is the scripture I felt the Lord impress on my heart.  So, I looked it up...

"Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience" 

I read that and at first I thought..."wow, that's great! yes, I will accept that invitation to rest in You".
And then I read it again, read the text before it, and meditated on what God was trying to tell me.

I started with the first part of the verse.....
"Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest..."

God wants us to enter into His rest.  That rest that He has reserved for His children. He wants us to come to Him and recieve the rest He has offered.  We need to be intentional about coming into His presence just to rest.  The problem is, I don't always do that. 
I enter with praise and thanksgiving, yes, but also with my list.  Sometimes, we need to put that list down and just rest in the arms of our Heavenly Father and in the assurance of His Word.

That was comforting to me and rather easy to accept from my Father.

Then I meditated on the second part....
"so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience"
Ummmm, not so easy to swallow!
It hit me like a ton of bricks.....
When I don't rest in God, when I don't recieve that peace and rest He longs to give us, what I am saying to God is:
"I don't believe You are who You say You are"
"I don't trust You with my problems  and circumstances"
"I don't trust You with my future"
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
The bible tells us to "trust in the Lord with all of our heart" (Prov 3:5), when we don't do that, we are being disobedient....hence, we are sinning. OUCH!

And that is not the kicker either....
The bible tells us that we are to be examples.  Why? Because others are watching us and our examples should lead people to Christ.  If others don't see us trusting God and resting in Him through our trials and circumstances, if they don't see us going to Him for rest, neither will they.  And that my friend, is tragic.
May my actions never lead someone away from Christ.

There is a saying that says:
"I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds my future"

I'm choosing to enter into His rest with the assurance of knowing that my Heavenly Father is in control of all things.  I don't need to fret about tomorrow because He has already been there!

Pa' Lante y Pal' Cielo!
Cece

No comments: