Thursday, January 3, 2008

Chaos In Kenya

Well is been a long time since I last posted. As a matter of fact, the last time I posted a blog, I was in Kenya. I have been home for several months now. And though lots, and I mean lots, has happened since I have been home, this blog won't tell you about any of it. Not today.

Surely many of you have heard about the riots happening in Kenya. There is a lot of political strife going on and it has resulted in over 300 deaths thus far. My heart has been aching for the people of Kenya. For me this has become something that is not in a far away 3rd world country. This is something that is happening to my friends. It is happening around the children that I have hugged and kissed. Around the children that so happily sang " I am Not Forgotten" It is happening in the slums that I was so privileged to minister in and on the roads I frequently traveled on. Uhuru Park, where todays rally was supposed to take place, is a park I passed almost daily. My heart has been saddened by what is taking place and I have wept while calling on God.

I am thankful that I have received word that, although, the people I worked with are safe, they are not able to return home to Nairobi. Many of them were visiting relatives out of town. There are 10 children in the orphanage (which of course is on lock down), and the rest of the children are with relatives throughout Kenya. We will not have any word on them until the madness ceases.

Since I have been back home, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my time there. It is a place that I grew to love. Often times, I have said "if they put me on a plane today, I would go back". And despite what is going on now, I long for the day to return (although I wouldn't get on a plane today!). Kenya is such a special place for me, I cannot even describe it.

Please pray for the peace in Kenya. Pray for the safety of the Kenyan people as well as all the missionaries there. ElDoret, which is one the hardest hit areas, is also where the Rift Valley Academy is. RVA is a boarding school for missionary children. So there are alot of MKs very close to the danger.

I know that God is sovereign and in control of all things. And I know God is in Kenya, I know because I was there and I felt His presence. Unfortunately, the people there have decided to take things into their own hands and leave God out of it. I pray that the Spirit of God would grab ahold of them and they would change their ways.

I promise that my next entry will be less sad, but please keep Kenya in your prayers.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thank you for the Kenyan Update! Great to see you blogging again!!