Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Another Goodbye.....

They say that one of the hardest things about being a missionary is all the goodbye's....

The goodbye's to your family
The goodbye's to your friends back home
The goodbye's to your friends that leave the field
The goodbye's to the people you serve when you are the one leaving the field...
The goodbye's to the wonderful people you meet on teams...you minister together in a super intense way with them, and witness God rocking their world...and then at the end of the week...another goodbye....

Yesterday, there was yet another goodbye.....

There are 2 little girls, Vilma and Erika, who were living at the girls home where I teach English. They are 7 and 4. Yesterday was their last day at the home. They are being transferred to another home that is more age appropriate for them.



They came to the home a few months ago as an emergency situation. The court called the directors of the home and asked if they could take them in. The girls were living with relatives because they were in an abusive home, but the relatives were not taking good care of the girls either. When I first met them, a day after they arrived at the home, they were super shy. The skin on their feet was burnt from the sun, their hair was matted, and they didn't speak Spanish. They only spoke Quiche, which is one of the native Mayan languages in Guatemala, and they sat in a corner. Fast forward a few months later; they are chatty Cathy’s speaking in Spanish, affectionate, super cheerful, and praises to God are being sung from their lips. I cannot tell you how much I love these girls. From the moment I met them, I wanted to adopt them and bring them home with me. Seriously, I did. Unfortunately, that is not an option for me at this time, for many reasons!!!



The court system found a home that is more age appropriate for them, as Mi Especial Tesoro is a home for adolescent girls. I know that in one sense, it is better for them because the new home has resources specifically for children their age. However, I can't help to think....."What will become of their life?” I don't know if the new home is a christian home. I can only trust that the seeds that were planted in these few months are rooted deep in their hearts and will continue to grow. I am believing that He who began the good work in their lives is faithful to complete it.



I think saying bye to Vilma and Erika was the hardest goodbye yet. I've only been a missionary for a year and I have had enough goodbyes! But at 4 and 7, I think they have had to say more than their shares of goodbyes as well.









Until next time friends,
Pa' Lante y Pal' Cielo!
Cece

No comments: