Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lessons from the Slums!

Well its been almost a week since I have written and there is so much to tell!! However I won't bore you with every single detail!! Sunday we went to a church called Parkland Baptist Church! It was amazing. It was a very "Americanized" church, and I felt like I was back home (except for the 2 songs sang in Kiswahilli). The people were so welcoming and warm and the presence of God was in that place!! As always God met me right where I needed Him too!

Throughout the week we have spent most of out time at the Baptist Children Center, where I cooked lunch for the kids (I'm learning some Swahili dishes and I can make chapati!!!!) and taught some classes to the 2nd and 3rd graders. That was a blast. We sang songs at the end of class and just had a good time. I have grown to love those children as if they were my own. We went to visit another orphanage yesterday and all I could think of was our kids at BCC. They have such a special place in my heart and I dread having to leave them in a couple of weeks. Every time I think about leaving I get sad!

On Tuesday we had the opportunity to visit a school and community center in the Korogocho slums. It is not one of the biggest slums, but it is one of the worst slums in terms of crime. Over the weekend we did a walk through through the Kibera slums which is the biggest slum in Kenya. About 1.2 million people live there. There was such a huge difference between the 2. Although Kibera is the biggest slum, there was such a difference between the people in Kibera and the people in Korogocho. The people in Kibera seemed to be more at ease and had a look that although I cannot describe or figure out, I know it was not hopelessness. Whereas, in Korogocho, there was a restlessness all around. Until we reached the center. It was like a haven in the midst of a hopeless place. The center is run by a pastor who was one of the founders of BCC. In the center there is a school that goes up to 4th grade, a wood shop center to teach the boys in the community, and a sewing and beauty school for the girls. While there, we just toured the place and spent time talking to the director about the programs and what we can do while there. I was so impressed with this place. Not because of of its facilities because they were nothing incredible. In fact each classroom was about half the size of a trailer, if that. However, they filled the rooms with bright colors and everyone had such a joyous spirit there. It was incredible. At the end of our meeting, the pastor asked us to pray for the center before we left and then he prayed for us. As he began to pray I was overwhelmed by the presence of God in this place. I was reminded that God is at work everywhere! Wherever people call out to Him, He comes and answers. From the mega-churhes in America, to the slums in Nairobi and everywhere in between. God is no respecter of person, He will enter wherever He is wanted. The director and staff at the community center in Korogocho truly exampled what it means to have joy unspeakable and full of glory. Truly they had the joy of the Lord in them! We will be returning there 2 days next week and I am so excited! I want God to work in me and through me while I am there!!

So many times I have been overwhelmed by God during this trip but that was one I had to share with you. We have so much to learn from the humble people here that desire God so much and know what it means to truly rely on Him, because He is really ALL that they have. I praise God for every opportunity. Thank you for your prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can pray for as well. Your prayers are the reason God has sustained me here and filled me with peace. Nakupenda Sana!!! (I love you very much!!)

No comments: