Monday, July 9, 2007

Our Journey Begins!

What can I say? I love Kenya! I didn't say too much yesterday because I was really tired but there were things to tell. Sunday morning we went to BCC for church. As we drove there on the crazy, no rule or traffic light, streets of Kenya, I sat and observed everything I had such a sense of peace in my spirit. I felt so settled. I wasn't nervous or anxious. I was just at peace and I praise God for that because it just confirmed to me that for such a time as this, this is where I am supposed to be. I felt like I was right where God wanted me and I am in His hands.

When we got there, the kids were in Sunday School. Really they are some of the most well behaved kids I have ever met! And all so joyful! Of course at first they were shy, but once it was time for service they all came and sat next to (or on top of) us! They all made sure I knew exactly where to look in my hymnal book for the songs. They really blessed me! Its really amazing how blessed you get when you come to serve others! After that, we did not get to stay and visit too much because we had to get back to the Guesthouse or we would miss lunch. Like I mentioned it the previous blog, we just rested.

Today, we went back to BCC. We had an orientation there. Tony who is the director and an amazing man with an amazing vision, talked to us about the center. Then we toured the place and visited all the departments and met all the department heads. We now get to choose when and where we want to work in each of the departments. I am really excited about all of it! Most of the children remembered me! As a matter of fact, Tom asked them if they did and they said yes, and I guess he told them to sing (I'm guessing because he was speaking to them in Swahili) and they began to sing "Come and let us sing!" which is one of the songs that I taught them back in December. Sheila, who is one of the caregivers at BCC and lives there with the children, said that after we left, the kids were saying "come and let us sing is here!!" So quite! And that works for me, if they do not remember my name but they remember what they were taught, Praise the Lord!!! After our tour and orientation, we helped serve lunch to the children and also ate with them. We had ugali, which is basically flour put in hot boiling water until it get thick. It looks like bread but does not have much flavor. Along with that we had cabbage, carrots, and I think spinach all boiled together. It was actually pretty good. Not what I would want all the time, but defiantly doable. After that we headed back home.

Because it was still early when we got back, we decide to take a walk. Down the road, about a 30 minute walk from here there is a plaza. In the plaza there is a huge super market called Nakumatt that is like a Kenyan Walmart except they have so much more! It was exciting to walk down the street like the locals. Everything is backwards here, and by the way, pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way..EVER!!! I'm pretty sure we were walking on the wrong side of the street. We are also pretty up high so I had to breathe a lot harder during that walk then I normally do! It was really cool to venture out though. We had alot of fun and don't worry...we took every precaution!

All in all, it has been a great day! God has kept us and is continuing to unite us! Thanks for all your prayers! Until next time!

1 comment:

Running with perseverance (Heb. 12: 1-3) said...

keep updating this cece, i love it :) i'm praying for you!