Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Where do I begin? Well yesterday, we went to the BCC. In the morning I went to help out in the medical unit. The medical unit that they run there has a nurse and a lab technician. Martha, who runs the clinic, is a sweet lady who is gentle and loving. Shamilla, is the technician who works there and she is always smiling!! They were so happy to be getting help. While there, I helped them with their charts and supplies. The unit is there to serve the children and staff at BCC but also the community. I was amazed at how many people were there. Some came in because they had bad coughs, while others came in to be tested for HIV. Nevertheless they were all greeted and served with the love of Jesus by Martha and Shamilla. Every person that came in was treated as if they were the only person being treated that day. Thats not always typical when there are many patients in most clinics. I look forward to going back to the unit in the next few weeks and helping out more.

In the afternoon, I helped prepare lunch (which I must say came out pretty good!!). Daniel, the cook gave me instructions and I just followed them so really it wasn't that big of a deal, but again he and Agnes, the other cook were happy to have some help. After lunch, I spent some time in the classroom. They are in need of teachers. I was in the 2nd and 3rd grade class. There was one teacher for 2 classes and after talking to her, its obvious that that is taking a toll on her. I was able to give her a break today and go and read a story to her class which they sat mesmerized listening to. I am falling in love with those kids more and more every day. That could be dangerous!!!

My favorite part of the day was recess. I got to spend some time with the children. During recess the kids basically make mud and played in it. Reminds me of the good old days!!! It was sad and refreshing at the same time. Sad because they have no choice but to play with that for they have nothing else. Refreshing because kids in Americal hardly use their imagination anymore. Nevertheless, they were the most content so I got on my kness in the dirt and made mini mud huts with them. It was quite fun!!

Today was quite a different experience. I spent the day in the sewing class with the girls. BCC has a class for young ladies that are in and around the community. One girl travels 2 hours each day to get there. These are amazing young women. We pretty much talked the whole time!! They sang for me and I taught them some spanish (imagine that! me teaching spanish!!). Then it was Q&A time. They asked me all sorts of questions about America and my family and somewhere along the way we got to talking about relationships. It was really neat because I was able to talk to them about purity (Mad and Mel, you would've been proud!) and on waiting on God (I seem to have become an expert on that!!) I felt like God really used me and the girls were eating it up!!!

All in all, it has been amazing being here. I have met incredble people at the guesthouse where I am staying. Last night, for dinner, I sat at a table with a couple from the states that has lived in Tanzinia since the 80's and is heading home this week for good, a getleman from the Netherlands heading home on furlow from Sudan, and a young lady who is a Dr. from Canada who has been here 6 weeks doing volunteer. Everyday I meet new people from different places. God is really working everywhere! Its been quite amazing and encouraging.

Sorry this post is so long but there is so much to tell this wasn't even half of it, and some you just can't put into words. Until next time my friends!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to update your blog. Amazing! I am so thankful you are there loving the children and staff. You are being prayed for daily. "For such a time as this"...you have been placed in Kenya.